February 7, 2009

I'VE BEEN BUSY

Wow! It's been way too long since my last post. I never intended to go this long without saying....something! So much has happened since I arrived to White Plains, NY a little more than 3 months ago. This certainly has been a humbling experience. I have learned a tremendous amount about the industry and how a movie gets made, and everything I thought I knew about animation got ripped apart the first couple of weeks I was here. This being my first film and all, there was a time at the beginning when I began to doubt my ability to contribute to this film. My first shot kicked my butt! I mean it got ripped apart!!! I never thought I'd get it approved, but when it finally did, I could hardly believe it. It's a pretty sweet feeling getting a shot approved. For about 8 seconds you feel like a total rock star. Since getting past that first shot, it's definitely gotten much better.

The people here are AMAZING! I just wanted to say that quickly now, but I'll elaborate on it more later.

We have about 6 weeks left in production in animation. We're overtime freaks! It's a crazy race to the finish. In an effort to help boost morale, director Carlos Saldanha called the animation department to a meeting in the Blue Sky Theater. He surprised us with about 8 minutes of the film that was complete, or close to final lighting and rendering. I don't even know how to write it without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, or being completely biased, but I can't help it. This movie looks FREAKING AWESOME!!! I had some questions of how it would look when it all came together, but not anymore. IT'S UNBELIEVABLE! I can''t wait to see it in stereo 3D, and I hope audiences feel the same way when it comes out this summer.

Stay tuned. More to come later...I promise!

6 comments:

Manny Gonzales said...

Sounds awesome Phil! Can't wait to see more of your work, and the film!

Roberta Tam said...

That sounds so cool! Thanks for blogging - keep us updated please!

- Anther AI Student ;P

Brad said...

Very Cool! Cant wait to see it on the Big screen.

Anonymous said...

I get nervous showing my shots to my mentors, I can't imagine a whole room full of them! Can't wait to see it, post a reel as soon as you're allowed!

Dylan

Arnaud de Vallois said...

Carnegie would be proud!

Jason Truxal, 3D Animator said...

Hey Phil- Congrats on joining Blue Sky, it's great to know someone with your talent got a cozy place out in Blue Sky. Too bad you had to leave though, but I'm sure you'll have a much enjoyable time then dealing with the likes of sleeping students (at times, me) and then the annoying ones (we all know what particular one I'm talking about: short, glasses, thought he was cool).

I hope to see more work from you later- You going to let us know what shot it was?